Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Heinlein's Rules: Insecure Writers Must Write #IWSG

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs.

Scifi author Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers) provided his infamous five simple rules for becoming a professional writer. They all seem very simple and obvious, but every writer's insecurity will prevent them from doing at least one of these consistently. I'll be covering one of them each month for the Insecure Writers Support Group. Here they are, what they mean, and how you can follow them.

1. You Must Write - This seems obvious, but if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Insecurity can make me come up with all sorts of reasons why I can't write: I don't have time, my writing isn't good enough, I need to do more research. But I force myself to write whenever I can, whatever I can, and however I can. I know I have to keep writing.

How do you keep yourself writing? What are you writing now?

Next month: "2. You Must Finish What You Write"

To hear about my new releases first and get a free short story, sign up for my newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

To be the first to find out about my new releases, as well as a free ebook, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/xALKv.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...