Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The B-Word: Writer's Block #IWSG

This is my entry for the Insecure Writer's Group...

I don't want to be one of those bloggers that feels the need to explain why he/she isn't blogging. I'm not under any illusions that I have a legion of followers on the edge of their seats, clicking refresh on my homepage over and over, and waiting for my next post. But at the same time, I don't want people to think I've stopped blogging altogether. So I'll just say that I don't have reliable Internet access right now, and I don't know when I'll be able to blog regularly again. That said, I want to stay active, so here's my entry for the Insecure Writer's Group.


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. 

We all know the words you can't say on television. Among writers, there's a five-letter word: block, as in writer's block.
I know some writers who never get writer's block. I wish I was one of them. I've suffered from writer's block many times. In some ways, writer's block is really severe anxiety. I would try to write, and nothing I wrote seemed any good. Usually I can push through it by forcing myself to keep writing, but in one memorable instance, I suffered from what I call "creator's block." For three months, not only couldn't I write anything, I couldn't even come up with anything to write. All my current unfinished projects seemed terrible, and any other ideas I came up with seemed even worse. I would sit at my computer, staring at the screen, wanting to write but literally having nothing to write.

I managed to break the block by starting my 100-word scifi stories. The short length seemed less intimidating, random words took away the need to come up with ideas on my own, and they inspired me to write longer stories.

Have you ever had writers block? If so, how did you get past it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To be the first to find out about my new releases, as well as a free ebook, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/xALKv.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...