Friday, September 11, 2015

I'm About to Read Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One"

I finally got a copy of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. I've been wanting to read this ever since I read the first two chapters of it on io9. It's been on my to-read list for ages, but I never got around to buying a copy. Then I got an award at work for my stats (yeah, that's call center stuff) and they let me go to the prize room (aka. modified broom closet). I was looking around at boxes of candy bars and stress balls, thinking I'd get something for my kids when I saw a bin of actual books. And right there was a copy of Ready Player One.

If you haven't heard of it, it's been described as Willy Wonka meets The Matrix. It's about a future where everyone lives in this virtual world, and the creator of the virtual world offers his entire fortune to anyone who can solve a scavenger hunt in the game. And one kid finds the key to solving it. But the real fun of the novel is that the scavenger hunt is tied in with eighties references, so you have a kid in the year 2144 2044* watching episodes of Family Ties and playing Robotron for clues. Yeah, nostalgia is a thing.

I'm so excited to read this novel that I almost don't want to read it, because then there will be a point when I've already read it.

* Got the date wrong

To hear about my new releases first and get a free book of fifty 100-word short stories, sign up here. Your email will never be shared, and you'll only receive messages about new releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To be the first to find out about my new releases, as well as a free ebook, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/xALKv.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...