Saturday, December 28, 2013

100-Word Sci-Fi: "Singularity"

Every week, I write a hundred-word story inspired by a random word. This week's word is "antigravity."
Image courtesy of Victor Habbick / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Down to Earth 
By Nigel G. Mitchell

As they walked out of the theater, Travis Burrows shook his head. "Man, I don't know why everyone is raving about that movie. I didn't like it at all. The dialogue was terrible, Clooney was annoying, and the action was totally unrealistic. Sandra Bullock was okay, but I think another actress could have done better."

In the parking lot, Irene Gallegos sipped the last of her Coke and shook her head. "Wow, Travis, you really didn't like that movie."

Travis shrugged as he dug his keys out of his pocket. "No, I didn't. I guess you could say I'm anti-Gravity."

Okay, couldn't resist. Here's the real story.

Singularity
By Nigel G. Mitchell

Engineer Jetty held onto his console as another explosion rocked the bridge. "Torpedoes gone, Captain. No weapons of any kind. We're sitting ducks."

Captain Roark raised a finger. "Not quite. Jetty, reroute our artificial gravity into the reflector disk. Focus the beam at the enemy's coordinates."

Jetty smiled. "Aye, sir. Everyone hold onto something."

When Jetty activated the beam, Roark clung to his chair as the gravity faded. He and everyone else on the bridge floated off the ground. He watched as the enemy ship crumpled up like a soda can into a speck of metal floating among the stars.

To hear about my new releases first and get a free short story, sign up for my newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

To be the first to find out about my new releases, as well as a free ebook, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/xALKv.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...